Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Time of the Year

This is my all-time, most favorite time of the year. I love everything about it – the cool weather, football, the changing of the leaves, Thanksgiving followed by Christmas which means good food, family and friends. I do have to admit I have to do an attitude check from time-to-time because my focus gets off what is important which usually means I've put the focus on myself. My feelings get hurt. I get tired, snappy, short or make caddy remarks that have no business being said much less being thought. Anybody with me? Sometimes we get caught up in keeping score: "Well, I brought this last time," or "This is my responsibility: I do it every year." When I hear those kind of words come out of someone it makes me wonder about their heart and their focus.

It isn't for us to keep score. That's not your job or mine. Proverbs 20:27 says, "God is in charge of human life, watching and examining us inside and out." (The Message translation) When we allow God to keep score and deal with things, then we are able to maintain our focus on what is important like loving on others and serving others, we find our attitude changes, our burdens lifted. And wouldn't that make for a much more pleasant holiday season for everyone?

Each of us is a precious daughter of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Let's be gracious daughters of the King as well exercising mercy, extending love and a willing hand with a gentle spirit, emulating His generosity, and executing Christ-like behavior not only in actions but in speech as well. Look for opportunities to practice your precious, princess-self remembering you represent your Father.

Love to you all.

His Daughter,


 

Kristy

No comments: