Monday, November 8, 2010

“Kristy Michele!”

Last week I asked you to read Luke 10:38-42 from a couple of different versions. Read those verse again after you’ve had a time of prayer.


We also looked at how Martha opened her home to Jesus, His disciples and whatever crowd might have shown up. Martha and Lazarus’s sister Mary chose to sit at the feet of Jesus and listen. We saw that Mary opened her heart and her mind to be filled by her Creator, the Lover of her soul.

Let’s look again this week at Martha. In verse 40 we read that Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. AND WHO WOULDN’T? It’s not like she could call in an order at Monjuni’s and pick up some lasagna for a house full of people. If she was going to fix chicken, she was going to have to catch several chickens, kill them, pluck them, wash them, and that is before preparing them to be cooked. She was probably also considering what else she should serve to go with the entrée. Do I have enough dishes for this many people? I haven’t dusted this week. My house is a disaster! I can totally appreciate it if Martha was thinking these things. Can’t you? I mean, after all, it’s JESUS entering your home. You are feeding JESUS. It is a big, flippin’ deal! And in the middle of her frenzy, Martha turns around to order Mary to do something, and she isn’t there. As a matter of fact, Mary isn’t anywhere near the kitchen. Mary has gone and sat her scrawny self down and isn’t lifting a finger to help. That would burn me up to know that the person who should be helping me has ditched me. Can you feel Martha right now? Have you walked in our sista’s shoes? (I know you can’t see me, but I am SOOOOO raising my hand right now!)

Then in Martha’s frenzied state, she goes to Jesus and says, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work BY MYSELF? Tell her to help me.”

What Martha is saying is, “Jesus, I can’t do this alone! It’s too much. I need help. There is just too much to do.” But then she goes one step further. She bosses Jesus! “Tell her to help me!” (Oh, no she didn’t! Oh, yes, she did!) She told Jesus the One whose Father only has to speak a thing into existence to go tell her sister to get up off her scrawny behind and help her. (That my sisters is skating on some thin ice…in my humble opinion.)

But God is gracious. He is merciful. He could have in that moment squashed her like a bug, but He didn’t. Instead, He was compassionate yet firm (Oh, how I wish I could parent like this!) Jesus calmly called her by name…twice. “Martha, Martha.” (When I was growing up if my momma or daddy called, “Kristy Michele,” then I knew I was in deep trouble.) But Jesus’s tone isn’t one of scolding, it’s one of calming Martha down. “Martha, Martha.” I just love the fact that He knows my name. He knows your name. It’s personal. He’s personal.

Martha didn’t have to tell Jesus everything that was on her plate because He knew. “You are worried and upset about many things.” He knows what is on your plate. He knows what is going to be happening the week before the tea and the day of the tea as we prepare. HE KNOWS!

Then Jesus leads Martha where she needs to go – “Only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” What was that ONE thing? Who was that One?

As you prepare to serve the women who will attend this tea, what needs to be our focus? Who needs to be our focus? Do not neglect your quiet time with Him. Crawl up in your Father’s lap with His Word, and let Him love on you. Let Him fill you up because it is when we are filled up with Him that your act of service will most reflect Him.

No comments: